Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rupture disc at PD pump discharge 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

acetone

Chemical
Jul 27, 2006
IN
Kindly share your thoughts of installing Rupture disc at PD pump discharge. Frequent premature failures I'm facing

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Frequent pressure pulsations can = RD fatigue failure.

We need details. Normal operating discharge pressure or pulsation range. Type of pump (make and model). RD burst pressure and type (make and model).

Good Luck,
Latexman

I have to ask "why are using a rupture disc rather than a PRV?" Latexman's response is correct, and with an RD, once it bursts you are losing whatever the material is until the pump is stopped, they don't re-seat like a PRV. More detail might help us give responses that are not straight from the textbook.

Generally speaking installing a RD seems like a bad idea to me in such a location.

Normally you install a RD when a Relief valve cannot act fast enough to prevent failure, e.g. on the low pressure side of a shell and tube HX to cope with a tube failure.

Why you need on on the outlet of a PD pump which needs to have a relief valve to cope with blockage of flow is not clear.

As noted RDs don't like pulsations or transients. They are a purposely weakened part of the system.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Lets assume that you device is necessary to protect the pump or downsteam piping or components ...

Instead of a RD, why would you not use an adjustable pilot operated relief valve ? ... The discharge can be directed back to the reservior

Explain your reasoning for using a RD .... Is it because your boss or the client insisted that you must do so ?

Explain, specifically, why the rupture disk is the BEST DEVICE for your particular application

Is your problem with the device or the application of that device

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

The OP hasn't logged in since the 2nd Jan so I think we're talking to ourselves....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

RD's will reliably burst when they need to burst - and they'll reliably burst when they're not needed. That's especially true in a liquid-full system, and it's exponentially true for applications like the discharge of a pulsating pump. That's an exceptionally bad application for an RD.

For good operational reliability and safety, default to using reclosing devices (PSVs) in all cases, except for the relative few cases where there's a specific reason to use an RD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back