Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rupture Disc Nozzle Location 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stampe

Petroleum
Oct 4, 2004
DK
Usually the nozzle for a rupture disc on a water cooled high pressure gas T&S heat exchanger is located at the top of the shell.

Is it acceptable to locate the nozzle at the bottom of the shell from a safety point of view?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The reason I thought nozzles are typically placed on top of the equipment is so that fouling materials or solid objects cannot settle in the nozzle thus blocking the safety relief path.

Stampe
The relief needs to be on the top. The point of the relief is to let gas exit the exchanger. If you put it on the bottom all the liquid will have to drain out before the gas can escape. You would then have to size the relief for a liquid relieving rate.
Pkpbip makes some good points about plugging as well.

Good Luck

StoneCold

Liquid drain out was my main concern with respect to safety especially due to potential pressure built-up on the shell side, but also due to high velocity liquids in the flare system.

The case is that a vendor has supplied this to us on a 250 barg compressor CM after cooler and I just wanted to make sure that this was not common practice.

What about protecting the cooling water system from gas penetration and pressure buid up, with probable hammering and even cooling tower "problems" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back