Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rust bullet or POR 15?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stout1

Mechanical
Apr 26, 2006
US
Does anyone have any experience with these products and good/bad opinions on either. I have a couple rust bubbles starting to form that I wanted to sand down and treat before winter on the car. Any suggestions or opinions would be helpful. Thank You.

Michael

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

POR-15 : Yes
Rust bullet: No.

The POR-15 product is excellent and does all it claims. The key to a good finish is good preparation. Remove all rust , grease , silicon polish etc back to bare metal. Follow the makers instructions.

Rust Bullets? Not exactly sure if these are the sacrificial anode type products which come onto the market from time to time.
If so then have a browse through the archive for definitive information. Simply put: Save your money and put it toward something useful for your car.

Pete.

Peter7307--I thought the whole idea of the POR product was to allow you to "Paint Over Rust" ? If you go through the process you described and get down to clean, bare metal, any primer and paint will do a good job.

rust bullet is the same as POR-15 but has 1 advantage that it does not break down under UV light like POR-15. I was wondering if anyone had used either and if they had seccess with it.

Michael

POR is almost always the preferred treatment for minor rusting. Do some searching and you will find that POR works consistantly and anodes are not reliable on autos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back