Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rust prevention on metal tooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watash

Aerospace
Jul 31, 2001
US
I am trying to find something that I can put on metal fixtures that will prevent rust on them during storge. We store all our fixtures in a controlled atmosphere room, and we are still getting rust on them. If anyone has any ideas on how we can stop this from happening please let me know?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look at
Then look up Rust Preventative, VCI, oil coatings, bearing coatings, etc

There are a lot of vendors out there that would probably love to give you a demo on their rust prevention products.

Most products out there (that will give you a long shelf life) will probably need to be removed before using the fixture. In my experience, most alkaline cleaners will remove the oil and residue. Most likely the vendor will be able to tell you what will work the best.

Watash,
Not knowing exactly the kind of fixtures you are using, I might also suggest doing the same as tool and die shops and dip your fixtures in a heated wax or rubber like substance which coats the metal and is easily removed.The size of your fixture and any orifices may be a problem however.

Some of our fixtures are fairly large and we might have a problem dipping them into wax. But I will look into dippinf the smaller fixtures into wax or a rubber like substance.
Thank you

I work in a battery mfg. plant, and we face severe corrosion problems.
we store metal parts in a most curious manner.
1. Wipe down with vinigar.
2. wipe down with ordinary liquid floor wax .
3. remove wax when and if required , with floor wax stripper and soapy water .
You can skip the vinigar wash on nonferrous metals .

Need to know two things to help you:

1. What is material of your fixture
2. Which kind of coating exists on fixtures (if any)

Controlled atmosphere will not help by itself. Even slightest amount of humidity is sufficiant to cause corrosion. Theory even says that corrosion is developing more in low humidity-atmosphere (if you put metal in pure water, most corrosion will exist on border zone, not in the water - talking about water without salinity).

If you store ordinary low-carbon construction steel without any protection - try with commercial "primers". You can buy primer and cleaner together: apply primer during storage, clean with cleaner before use. There is also possibility to simply add layers of other coating compactible with primer. Chemical stores related to construction supplies know everything about that.

Since I am from the Injection Molding industry, I am familiar with corosion protection under the industry name "SLIDE". Slide has different options for protecting metal parts and/or molds. For instance, they incorporate a surface treatment spray where acidic materials (such as PVC) would come into contact with the steel. Even though an anti-corrosion or rust inhibitor would be applied. The steel could still corrode due to the acid residue left behind from the PVC. I don't know what their web address is. Try using a search engine (I recommend "GOOGLE") to find them. I have seen tooling stored for 3 years near an open garage door that has not had rust on it and we used the Slide products only.

Live Aloha

I store steel molds for years using rust preventative from Northern Supply 1-800-365-6565
You can get short term or long term rust protection.
Crown brand or Slide brand can be found here.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back