S7 Process control - MS Access Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electromechanical30

Industrial
Sep 15, 2004
US
Hi All,

I am looking into a Data Collection project. I'd like to use an S7-300 series PLC with remote IO on Profibus. On the remote IO, I will have several descrete inputs, and thermocouple inputs. What I'd like to do do is write the data logged by the PLC into an MS Database over Ethernet.

Can anyone provide some pointers, links, etc. on how to configure the PLC and Database on the PC. I do have some experience with Access and Visual Basic, but the territory is still a little unfamiliar to me...

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have no experience with S7, but have done this several times with AB's to MSAccess and SqlSvr.

1. you will need a piece of software that talks to the plc and will provide for either OPC protocol or at least DDE so that Windows based programs can communicate to the plc.
In AB-land, it's RSLinx, or its Kepware. Check Kepware's site if needed for S7.

2. Once you have a communication program running, you can use OPC (OLE for Process Control) protocol with MSAccess or VB, etc.

3. How to actually collect (poll) data.
You could write your own routines for collecting the data, or you could purchase an off-the-shelf package. The one i'm most familiar with is RSSql, it's a AB-Rockwell product.
There are several others on the net. I'm not promoting RSSql, I just had LOTS of experience with it since 1997.
Years ago, i used Excel to write an interface to both collect data based various conditions, and to provide a control screen for the operator.

I know this is very brief, but this should give you some direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back