Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SA 105 impact test values

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCrash

Mechanical
Aug 16, 2007
US
Just a quick question - I'm looking for criteria for impact testing SA 105 with a 50F MDMT. I've found supplementary requirements for SA 516, but no such parallel for SA 105.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

actually, it is +50 F; it is a pressure containing casing for a motor getting installed very close to the equator.

UCS (in particular UCS-66) has required impact testing for both my SA 516 and my SA 105 materials. I am now trying to figure out what are acceptable values for the impact tests for the 105 material.

I have just stumbled on UG-84, which appears to have average impact values that would apply to both the SA 105 and the SA 516. Does this table correspond to the supplementary requirements in section II?

For SA 105, the reason you don't have Supplemental impact test requirements is that this material is used for ambient and elevated temperature service. Considering your MDMT is only 50 deg F, you have a MINIMUM of 25 ft-lbs at this temperature.

i'm sorry, perhaps i did not understand correctly.

you say ucs-66 is requiring impacts of 516 & 105 at a mdmt of +50

is this steel 10" thick?

you may want to apply normalizing to get to a different curve.

Close! Not 10 inches, but ~7 in, and the parts are welded together, so it's above the limit of 4 inches per UCS-66. And we are normalizing, but it doesn't matter since the curves can't help us anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back