Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SA-105 vs. SA-266 Cl. 2 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

What exactly is the difference between SA-105 and SA-266 Cl. 2 forgings? We are fabricating a replacement vessel that originally had SA-105 flanges, but the customer would like to use SA-266-2 instead.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Of course SA-266 Cl.2 is allowed under Section VIII Div.1.
The two materials are quite equivalent in my opinion: only minor differences in the specification (heat treatment policy for instance).
I think the choice is a matter of taste, or, better said, of continuity at client's organisation.
prex
motori@xcalcsREMOVE.com
Online tools for structural design

The ASTM A266 class 2, is not allowed by ASME VIII div.1, infact if you look ASME IID, this material is underlined NP (not permitt.) under VIII div.1.

The 2001 Edition of ASME Section II, Part D was revised such that SA-266-2 is permitted to a maximum temperature of 1000 deg F for Section VIII-1 construction.

I remember these two grades as generally used for flanges and other applications like tube sheet etc., On the former, there is a max limit in weight of 10000 lbs (this is old, rusty recollection of mine, I am not sure what the current code says...) Sorry if I have mislead anyone with this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back