SA-350-LF2 Cl.1 MDMT Lower Than Specification 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikhsani

Mechanical
Jun 5, 2023
SG
Hello,

I am working to design a pressure vessel using ASME Section VIII Division 2 2021 edition with design pressure 600psig, design temperature 270°F, and MDMT -66.2°F.
The material of construction is SA-350-LF2 Class 1.
As per material specification, the impact test temperature is only -50°F.
Can it be used for the MDMT -66.2°F?
Is part 3.11.2.5.(a) applicable to determine the reduction?
If yes, is the stress ratio calculated as per 3.11.2.5(d), Stress Ratio = Design Pressure / MAP at the MDMT?
How to determine the MAP at MDMT?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Follow 3.11.2.6 to reduce MDMT of impact-tested material, like A350 LF2 CL1. If that doesn't get you there, you'll need to specify supplementary CVN testing to achieve your MDMT.

We purchased A350 LF2 with impact testing at -60F over 30 years ago for our -60 MDMT project design. I know of other projects with lower MDMTs where A350 LF2 forgings were purchased with similar requirements possibly as low as your needs.

The original material SA-350-LF2 CL1 is impact tested at -50F
I have tried run the calculation in Compress. The stress ratio is calculated per 3.11.2.5(d) = MAWP of the entire vessel / MAP of the item itself (Flange)
Then it get reduction by 3.11.2.6 and from table 3.17, so the design MDMT of -66.2F is acceptable

Since the material is tested at -50F and get reduction by the code, shall we perform the production test for this material?
If yes, what is the production impact test temperature? at -50F or -66.2F?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back