Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sacrificial anodes on steel anchors

Status
Not open for further replies.

engresague

Mechanical
May 13, 2014
CL
Hi,
I don´t have previous experience installing marine anchors for ships mooring systems and I´ve a cuestión about.
We are installing a multi buoy terminal that require six STEVESHARK MK 5 - 15 mT anchors. The system consists of six arrays composed catenary. Like anchor, chain, dead weight of concrete, chain and mooring buoy. Chains and buoys shall be fitted with anticorrosión sacrificial anodes .
The anchors would initially six blocks of reinforced concrete 17 mT, but these were changed to laminated steel anchors type STEVSHARK MK 5.
My cuestion is: Is it appropriate to fit sacrificial anodes on steel anchors too?

What comments have you about ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Will the anchors be fully buried?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

No. Partially buried, the seabed is mostly rocky. In fact, there are some doubts about its performance.

If the anchors are electrically continuous with the chains, then the cathodic protection design will have to account for their exposed surface area in the anode mass calculations. What does the cathodic protection design engineer advise?

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back