Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAE Straight Spline Shaft Dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin51

Mechanical
Nov 2, 2006
US
Looking for shaft dimensions and tolerances for a 3.750" 16 Spline SAE Straight Spline, Type B - To Slide Not Under Load. I have the original drawing which specifies "Splines as per formula in SAE Handbook, 1940 edition, page 233, Type-B Fit to match (mating part)" The problem is, I have a 1940 SAE handbook, and the information is the same as the current SAE J499 spec, which has no info on the shaft dimensions or formulas to calculate shaft dimensions. I also have the drawing for the mating part, and it is also of no help.

Using the search feature I can across a topic of a member asking about a 10 spline type B fit, and "gearcutter" posted a chart listing dimensions for the shaft and hole side. Does anybody have any info for 16 spline shafts?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You're working with one of the silliest standards an American institution has come up with. Look at any other straight-sided spline standard that exists worldwide and it will give you dimensions for the shaft..........BS, ISO, DIN, AUS, etc.

Unfortunately I only have 'recommended' dimensions for the SAE 10 spline.

The SAE standard is derived from the tight & consistent tolerances that can be achieved when using a broach for manufacturing the internal profile. It offers no recommendations for the shaft. So you need to rely on experience and engineering skills to tolerance the dimensions for the shaft.
You use the internal specs (class A, B or C) as a guide for the basic dimensions.
Then, based on the manufacturing methods and finished machining tolerances that those methods can achieve, you decide the final machined tolerance the manufacturer is to adhere to.
As a basic guide; I start off by referencing the 'ISO Limits & Fits' data and then refine that to suit the application.

I have experience with this particular 16 teeth profile to suit 3.500" shafts as it's quite common in the mining machinery sector.
Below is a spec I came up with for the shaft to mate with a class B hub (to slide when not under load).
Note how the profile is designated as a 'bottom fit' spline.
The reason for this is because the minor diameters are easier to control than the major diameters.

Clip_4_mdqgpj.jpg

Thanks for the info. It's hard to believe that they would create a spec this ambiguous, but they did. The good thing is I have a pair of NOS parts to measure, however it doesn't give me much of a sample size. With the information for the 10 spline, your 16 spline, and some other data I've been able to find, I should be able to make it work.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back