SAFE for Sliding Checks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sauce_man

Structural
Apr 14, 2020
US
Hi,

I have some mat foundation models that I am using SAFE to analyze and design. Loads are exported from ETABS and include X, Y and Z components.

I am trying to do a sliding check, and for that I have removed the subgrade spring from the model and I put pins at each of the mat four corners. SAFE exports the horizontal reactions as zero even though these load components are applied to the mat. Z components are included in the export. Can anyone provide insight on why I might not be seeing horizontal reactions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you mean that ETABS export is not including the X and Y components to SAFE? Or you verified that the X and Y loads have been exported, but SAFE is not displaying X and Y reactions? It might be just a matter of turning on the X and Y reactions in the display in SAFE, and checking the 3D view. Even if X and Y loads are not exported from ETABS and there is gravity only, there will always be X and Y components in the reactions if there are X and Y pin constraints, whether there are subgrade springs or not.

Maybe also check if you used a roller instead of pins at the corners.

A screenshot of the issue would be useful.

@milkshakelake,

I have verified the X and Y components have been exported, but X and Y reactions are equal to zero. I am checking display table>analysis results>joint output>reactions. FWIW no horizontal reactions are visually shown in 3D when I use the display reaction feature as well.

Go to Analyze - Advanced Modeling Options, is "2D Plate - UZ, RX, RY Only" selected? If so, unselect, re-run model and see if your reactions appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back