Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Safe-off board - Whats the purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pssriram16

Electrical
Jul 20, 2006
US
When I use a contactor monitoring circuit, then I pretty much know when the drive (VFD or servo drives) is powered, right? Then why do we have to buy the additional safe-off board (especially to the Powerflex Allen-Bradley drives)? Whats the purpose? Is it to get an additional safety certificate level??

Sriram

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you use the safe off board you dont have to use a contactor on the input of the vfd. I am assuming your using the external contactor as estop. The safe off board is used also as estop function for different category levels depending on how you wire it in the manual.

Thanks Controlsdude. The E-stop logic is in the Smartguard controller. When the RESET push button is pressed, then I trigger the external contactor relay and monitor the contact(NC). Then I trigger the "Safe-off enable" signal to drive the safe-off board. Then I trigger the "Drive enable" signal to enable the drive...

I find too much redundancy in this logic, but I guess you are right that this is a requirement for a higher safety category level.

Yes, I can confirm that you need a "hardware safe" and "program error immune" way of doing it. The Safe-Off board is that part of the solution. Usually can't do it in SW only.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back