Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Safety Anchorage Points on Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemock

Structural
Dec 29, 2004
US
Does anyone have experience re-certifying/inspecting the suitability of anchorage points on a roof for attachment of a personal fall arrest system. I've searched the OSHA website with little luck. Although they give some general testing guidance in 1910.66 & 1915, they go on to state the following:

"Since neither the standard nor the Appendix sets out test criteria for testing anchorages, employers may use any criteria that is scientifically valid. In general, this means using criteria that would be accepted by an industry consensus group or signed by a registered professional engineer. Remember that, if the anchor is to be used after it is tested, the testing method must not damage the anchorage."

Any information would be appreciated, I have to admit that I haven't actually been on the building, but I'm planning to get out there within the next couple of days.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A little more information.. (I read a few other related posts on here, so I thought I should clarify)

I'd like to know if there is a standard for frequency and procedure for inspecting anchorage points - not how to design them, although I may need to do this eventually to evaluate what's there.

I work at a academic facility and need to know if I should farm this work out or do an in-house inspection. Our inspection would be purely visual and checking bolt-torque.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back