Safety butterfly valve reset operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlos Melim

Electrical
May 31, 2018
PT
Good evening everybody.

I’m an electrical engineer and I have a safety question regarding a safety butterfly valve that closes automatically after an excess flow detection.
I’m familiar with these systems and, if the valve does close, I think it’s mandatory that the reset is always a manual operation and performed at the valve premises.

I have a contractor that doesn’t agree with this approach and asks what regulation document supports our understanding.
What document should be followed?

Thanks for your help.

Carlos Melim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good day,

I am not an electrical/instrumentation engineer.
Maybe worth a try to dig into this one NEN-EN-IEC 61511-1:2017.
Reset is required, but from my understanding there is no fine definition whether it should be manual or automatic.
I think this is a call of end user and their governing engineering practice.
The main benefit of manual at valve premises is that we now for sure that 0%or100% marking on (physical) position indicator do reflect fully close/open reset position. At least from spindle point of view.
Did resetting once for 20"-2500# SDV ball valve that should be close/open within 2 seconds which cannot be manually override, it did shake the whole platform, hence during valve operation nobody should be around. Maybe your contractor have similar kind of experiences, hence reluctant.
But don't think that is the case for your butterfly valve.

Good luck,
kind regards,
MR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back