Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Safety grounding in hazardous voltage DC systems ( 400VDC )

Status
Not open for further replies.

masa6614

Electrical
Jul 10, 2009
US
Hello all,

Can you please help or direct me to any proper grounding requirements for dealing with a 400VDC system, specifically for a motor control system.

( )

So I've got a 400VDC brushless motor that needs powering, and I've purchased a AC/DC power supply to generate the 400VDC from 208VAC 3ph wall power. The output is isolated from earth (chassis) ground and I tap off of the output to a small DC/DC to generate isolated 28V for control power.
What I'm not sure of, are the safety requirements for dealing with this high voltage DC. Should I keep the power and return lines completely isolated from chassis?
The 28V power I'm sure eventually gets tied to chassis through a PC ground.
I was thinking maybe I should tie the 400VDC power and return lines to chassis through a large (>1Meg) resistor, in the event that if someone accidentally touches one of those live wires, the likelihood is they themselves are grounded and the current path is then limited through the resistor (400VDC/1Meg). Another concern is what happens if one of the high voltage lines ends up coming into contact with the it's chassis grounded enclosure?

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could you not derive your 28v power from an AC line-connected power supply? That would solve your inadvertent ground through the PC problem. As for the 400vdc source, is it more than a 3ph rectifier pack with filtering? Wouldn't it be referenced to ground, or is there a set-up transformer within your power supply?

If it's not ground referenced, something like this could be an option:

SceneryDriver

Thank you, that ground fault device looks like what I'm looking for.
The 400VDC power output is transformer isolated from the 208VAC.
Also, while searching, I found that the military has a 270VDC power specification (MIL-STD-704) which ties the 270VDC return to the 28VDC and Chassis at the source.
But I also found another military specification for +/-300VDC power (MIL-PRF-GCS600A) where the +/-300VDC rails are tied to Chassis through resistors and monitored for ground faults that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back