Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SAG-D - Steam extraction requirements? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprintcar

Mechanical
Oct 16, 2001
US
I've been asked to look into steam extraction process in terms of moving the recovered product from the mine site to the process plants - typically hydrotransported with centrifugal slurry pumps.

How does this compare to the standard hydrotransport of bitumen/sand that is strip mined, in terms of equipment (number of pumps) distance to plant, and composition/specific gravity of the product??

Thanks!

Racing and bullfighting are the only real sports...everything else is just a game.
Bob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thanks Mac! I'm trying to avoid Ft Mc until summer... I think that was on a Tuesday last July, wasn't it??

Is there any info you can share? I've seen a couple articles on the technology, but nothing specific such as tonnage produced, etc.

Racing and bullfighting are the only real sports...everything else is just a game.
Bob

Dear sprintcar,

Looks like big doins you way. Centrifugal
slurry pump manufacturers usually have example
applications similar to your problem. Try several
vendors and get a tech rep. to help you. If they
suspect potential sales, you'll get lots of loving
attention. CD's and the like. If not, you have to
politely annoy them.

Abstractly speaking, slurry pumping tonnages can be
massive. It's a matter of economics. With conveyors,
no water balance is needed. But they do freeze. They're
expensive. Slurry requires a water balence of some sort.
Or, are they planning to dump the oily water. Of course
not. Well, that means infrastructure associated with the
slurry transport. And what about terrain? All that.Quite
a job. Good Luck. Sideliner.

You may not have to go to the Fort- there's a book called' Pipeline Hydrotransport with Applications in the Oil Sands Industry' - they say it has applications for oil sands (obviously) but also mining, chemical industries etc- I'm thinking of getting a copy - $100 Cnn I think it says-
I found it by googling & typing in 'transporting slurries' a Gov't of Sakatchewn website comes up & the Pipe Flow Technology Centre ( who publishes the book) is the first item - there is a preface & abstract shown
Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back