Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Salaries for PdM Techs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

analyst34

Mechanical
Jul 2, 2002
US
Can anyone give me a link to typical "Salaries" or expected income for Vibration Analyst, Infrared Thermographer, etc. Or just for a PdM Technician for the Southern states ie. Texas

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

GregLocock-

I understand your uncertainty, I am a recently-graduated mechanical engineer also involved in PdM, and I'm sort of in a limbo between tech and engineer.

I'm also in Texas, but I don't know what the range is, my company has me at a Tech II rating.

(Job market is still not that good for new engineers)

A PdM position can be held by an Engineer or a Technician.
I have a Bachelors in Business, but also hold Level I and II in Infrared Thermography (IR), Vibration Analysis (VA), Airborne Ultrasound (AE), Ultrasonics (UT).
I am well qualified in my field and at this time still working on obtaining my Level III's.
Problem is when you combine all these technologies together as we do in our line of business, what is our value and how would it be figured??
Normally you would have electricians doing IR, mechanics doing VA and AE and so forth...getting decent cheese for that specific technology only.
If there are not any easy answers, than so be it.
I appreciate it guys!!

htibbs,

Have you searched all of the salary calculators on the web? That is a good place for a starting point, from there you can ascertain if you are where you think you should be salary wise.

Also, do you have any information about similar jobs in your company and the salaries being paid for them? That might be tough since that would involve asking other people what they make.

Here are some websites that could be a good starting point for you.

Sometimes it is possible to find a job description that is similar to the one you have.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Fred

JTMcQ, I see nothing wrong in doing a technician job for a while after graduating, just make sure you leverage that practical experience into a real engineering job reasonably quickly (if you want to).

htibbs I think you are probably doing is probably equivalent to a level 1 or maybe level 2

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Predictive Maintenance Techs at our plant have moved to vibration analyst (engineering position), valve engineer, and shift supervisor to name a few positions. It's a good start with great opportunity to interface with Operations (Production) and Maintenance.

I'm in TX also. I don't know what our Techs make but they do pretty well when you add in the overtime.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Its time to put this puppy to rest.
I will do more research and post upon further substantial finding.
Have a great day all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back