Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Salary is good for PE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamHui

Chemical
May 11, 2005
US
I am a engineer for few years only. A boss recommend me to obtain the PE license. The company can sponsor me. I am in mechanical field. I work at CA. If future, I relocate to NY, my license can be transfered. Also, the salary for PE enginner is good? greater than 100k. My salary is so low now.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SamHui;
I hate to deflate your expectations but engineers with only a "few years" experience will not make $100K per year. The potential is there to grow in salary commensurate with experience.

The PE is an excellent credential that will open doors, and will provide career opportunities to grow in salary. I suggest you do some research on salary levels of engineers based on experience and academic credentials.

I couldn't agree with metengr more....As with all good things, they take time. I passed 100k but only after working in the trenches for 15 years. The PE was a key to that success in my opinion.

Your NY license will not "transfer" but you will have an opportunity to seek reciprocity with the state you move to based upon your having the CA license.

Bob

You can improve your chances of a PE transfering from one state to another by registering with NCEES. It can be a pain, and you have to get references from PE's every year, but the process of getting licensed in other stated becomes pretty easy.

I'm not sure how it works with state-specific requirements (e.g., California's earthquake qualifications and Florida's hurricane qualifications), but I'm sure NCEES would be delighted to tell you.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back