Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

salary negotiation advice needed ASAP!!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AeroEng33

Aerospace
Jan 23, 2005
US
i interviewed with an aerospace engineering company a couple of weeks ago, at the time they asked for my salary info and i didn't give it out. the HR recruiter said it would be ok because they based the offers on your ability and work experience. during the interview with the program manager it was evident that they were going to make me an offer. last week the HR told me they were going to make me an offer but were still working on the numbers.
i got a voice mail from the HR recruiter today asking for my most recent salary info. can someone please let me know what a proper response should be?

everyone i talk recommended that i dont' accept anything less than 75K - 85K, and i'm currently way below that. i have two more interviews with different companies this week.

thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If they ask what your salary is , or other details of your current postion, I would be completely honest. Obviously, if you were satisfied in your current postion, you would not be looking. Employers generally know what the going salary range is for a particular job. However, I would always politely refuse to dicuss or negotiate salary with anyone except the person who would decide salary. If you are negotiating through an intermediary, you are at a considerably weaker postion and will not fare as well as you would one on one.If the discussion turned to salary, I would ask if they would be making the salary descion. If not i explained that I did not want to dicuss salary with any one not deciding salary. Generally, I would then meet the Sr. VP or President. Sometimes I got a good offer, sometimes I didn't, but I always made an impression.

well, it seems like nowadays every company is demanding your salary history... the first company i negotiated with came back with a really weak offer, which I will turn down. the HR just seem so shady... he made me an offer without specify my actual title or job duties. his voice was kind of shaky and he sounded kind of scare (my impression).

2nd company's interview went really well, the manager wants to hire me as a manager based on my resume and expereince and disclosed to me the salary range for an entry level executive. talked to their HR afterwards, HR tried to hint that i didn't have the experience to be a manager without being at the interview (i was told beforehand i'm being interviewed for the manager position). HR then wanted to negotiate but i let them know i already know the salary range so HR wasn't very happy. Manager told me there would be relocation cost, tuition reimbursement, etc. HR told me they are not usually available and would have to figure into the overall compensation package.

later on that day i was told by HR the manager wants to make me an offer (big surprise). the catch is they want to bring me in as an engineer first and decide later on if they want to promote to manager. sounds like ol' bait and switch to me... i think HR got upset becuz they lost negotiation leverage and this would be a way to get their leverage back...

i've just about had enough of dealing with HR... salary negotiation wouldn't be this diffcult and dishonest if HR wasn't involved.... as a younger engineer, i am thinking why stay in the industry if this is what i have to look forward to? both of these companies are major aerospace corporations.

i still like my job and the aerospace projects that are out there, i've just lost faith in the system. i'm tired of constantly having to fight the system for what's right...

i'm only 30 years and i should not feel this way about my profession.. any older engineers feel the sameway? i have a very low tolerance for BS and i don't think that will get me far in the industry in this day and age.

Well, the HR guy is probably doing what he is paid for !!! Get guys at dirt cheap salaries.

If you are confident about yourself, don't get disheartened with what an HR guy negotiates with you. I am not taking away anything from the HR guy - he's probably just doing his job.

Stick to your guns, if you know you are worth that and if you also know that they need you badly.

HVAC68

Present salary is part of the equation for making an offer. One lousy company I worked for automatically offered less; most offer more. Give them the present salary.

Sure present salary is part of the equation, but make them offer first without knowing your salary and you are in a better negotiating position. Most companies will offer more, but it may not be near what they were willing to offer or would've offered strictly based on experience and market demand had they not known your current salary and actually done the research they are paid to do.

There's no reason they can't make an offer without knowing your salary, but if it becomes a big sticking point and you really like the job, then you may want to give it to them and see what happens. You should have an idea of what you want going into the interview and if they meet your requirements, then good, if not then you can start negotiating.

1-Don't give them your actual salary. It concerns to you only, it doesn't concern to them;
2-Let them propose first. They now how much they are willing to pay for your work;
3-If that goes below your range, then give them your range, but as said in previous threads, if you say 75K-85K, most probably they will propose to you 75 or 76;
4-If all the package is worthy, make a counter proposal in the following terms: you accept their proposal during the probation period (3/6 months) and then you get an extra raise of around 10%. This will tell you how much they want you. If they want you ,they will accept.
5-And wait. If you are not desperate for the job, wait. They will go to you.

PR

I suppose the government or some government contractors may need the SSN for background security checks, but I've told every potential employer that has asked me for my SSN that I'll give it to them if they hire me and when I'm filling out my employment paperwork.

From a hiring manager's perespective; knowing a candidate's current salary will benefit ME in negotiations if I decide to make an offer. I do not, however, ask for this info. My company does require a salary request from the candidate when we conduct an interview, but again, this benefits ME, not the candidate.

Bear in mind that salary negotiations are somewhat like playing poker, and when you provide more info the new company, tyou benefit THEM, and may hurt yourself.
The company knows what the typical range is for the position you're seeking. They will not overpay you; but when you give up your current salary info, there is a chance they will underpay you!

Last: I disagree with Greg in his previous response to Paulo; getting a written offer of a salary increase in 6-months would be very worthwhile. If the company were to renige later, that should tell you something about your new company......

I don't think that there should be a problem telling a prospective employer what you are making or made previously. No matter what offer they come back with, you can still reject the offer and requrest an increase if you think you're worth it.

I went for an interview several weeks ago after loosing my job. One of the questions the HR person asked me was what the salary range was that I was looking for. I was hesitant to answer for fear of placing myself outside of the range they would offer. So I simply told them what I was making on my last job. They came back with an offer that bettered my last salary and I'm very happy.

Recruitment is the best time to sort out your salary package.
Once you are in the company you will struggle to get a fair increase.

With some companies, the longer you are with them the further behind the industry benchmark you drop.

Of course, you are weakest when you have no job or when you are starting out, but if you have a job, it is your strength. It is the difference between a buyers and a sellers market.

Incidentally, if they hire you on at an engineer level and expect to prove you before they promote you, you need to think very carefully. This is not a good start. They want you to risk a secure job against a speculation that they may promote you. What if they decide not to? In all probability you will do the job you interviewed for without the salary and without the authority to do it well. Around about the end of the trial period you are surplus as HR will have found another recruit.

Once you have the job, then you are at their mercy until you hav been there long enough that if you leave they have the cost of finding a replacement and the probability that the entry level salary will be higher than they are paying you.

JMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back