Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Salary Q: working through recruitment firm vs full time

Status
Not open for further replies.

MedievalMan

Electrical
Feb 2, 2006
US
Apparently, I'm a bit of an exception at my workplace: most of the engineers are hired directly to full-time, whereas I was hired through a recruitment firm (Aerotek) that they usually use mainly for the technicians (with the contract that I would be hired full-time after 6 months.)

I'm kind of a niche in my workplace: I'm the only software engineer (there are about 20 engineers in total, and the company I work for has been expanding quite a bit.) I'm enjoying my work, and have actually been able to apply stuff I learned in my bachelor's and master degrees (ECE and control systems engineering, respectively.)

From the grapevine at work (note that actual salaries are not disclosed and we are told to not share with fellow employees) I've learned that they typically pay the engineers a "probationary" salary for the first 3-6 months, with a decent increase after that.

I'm currently making $45K (which my thesis supervisor tells me "is too low, ask for more"). When I was hired on full-time after 3 months (instead of 6, since I was doing an exceptional job), they said I would be kept at the same salary with a raise soon in the future.

To add to the picture, my supervisor "accidentally" put an amount of $55K on the full-time offer letter (which he mentioned verbally many times.) I eventually had to correct him, as it was an oversight on his part: nevertheless, apparently, he seemed to think the amount was reasonable. I'm suspecting the $10K difference may have been the amount they were paying Aerotek?

My question is, upon 6 months, I think I'm going to ask for consideration for a raise. If a $ is asked about, I'm thinking about mentioning the $55K. Some of my friends (not work friends) seem to think that's high for a first raise, others seem to think it is reasonable. Considering in my first 5 months I've made programs that have enabled tests they haven't been able to run in 15 years, I'm thinking it many not be that unreasonable :)

Any thoughts on this situation?

This is my first permanent job (I've had many co-op placements before that, however) so I'd like some advice on how to approach the "first raise".

Also from the grapevine at work, it seems as your review for a raise at work doesn't come up unless you mention it.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

-Medieval

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Definitely ask for the raise. All they can do is say no. I'm in the same field as you (with less experience) and I'm in a very inexpensive city. That said, I would probably not accept a salary under $50k/yr.

Thanks for the advice.

I too work in an inexpensive city, which has become cheaper mainly due to the downsizing of most of the companies in the city.

I suppose I could move and make more, but I'd like to stay near home at least for the near future, so I'm glad I found a place :)

Your OP indicated that you have a master's degree, which makes me think that even $55K is too low and $45K almost certainly is. On the flip side, you also said that this is your first real job. You will need to do some research on this (see below).

One of the things you will want to do is avoid looking like a job hopper (too little time in any one place), so I would suggest the following strategy:

1 - see if you can get more money out of your current employer. Back your negotiations up with facts and figures regarding average salaries in your area, in your field, with your years of experience.

2 - Stick it out for a couple of years and then start looking for a new job. You will likely be able to get a significant increase with your second job.

3 - Don't worry about it a $10K raise is too much. The question is how much is the job your filling worth to the employer - period.

Yeah, I certainly don't want to be known as a job hopper.

That's a good plan: stick it for a few years, and if it's no longer the money and/or work I'd like, look for something else.

As to #3 -- I'm not sure what the position is worth to the employer - I don't have anything / anyone for comparison. :)

Thanks.

You should investigate some on line salary calculators. Before you do, you might want to search through this forum as there was a discussion about the accuracy, or rather lack there of, of these sites. More often than not, the salary levels indicated on these sites is high.

This would give you a rough estimate of what your position would be worth in your area based on your years of experience.

Upon investigation of said salary sites, and discussion with my co-workers, it seems the company I'm working for aims for the "lowest ball" salaries, at least initially. Note that I use the lower end of the bell curve on these sites for comparison, as they do seem a bit inflated.

That being said, I'm in a unique position, and although the initial salaries aren't that high, there's lot of opportunity for advancement.

Thanks again for the advice.

"Software engineer"? Is that what programmers call themselves nowadays?

Your contract agency was probably billing about 1.8x you hourly rate, which is typical for the contracting industry. You can't use that figure for a salary basis because
[ul][li]It doesn't include benefits, unemployment, SSI, etc.[/li]
[li]You were probably getting shafted on your hourly rate. Certain agencies have a reputation as lowball, warm-body-broker outfits. Employers like them because they are cheap.[/li]
[li]Companies often budget contract hours (operation expense) differently than salary.[/li][/ul]

The best you can do is find what prevailing salaries are in your field and base your negotiation on that. Good luck with that. You've already tainted your employment relationship with a low rate, they've got the upper hand. Ultimately, somwhere they've decided how much they're willing to pay for someone like you.

Ah yes, I think the line between "software engineer" and "programmers" is a fine line :)

I think "tainted your employment relationship with a low rate" is kind of an unfair assessment: from discussion with fellow recent engineering grads in the area, a starting salary of $40K-50K / year is typical.

Best I can do, in the meantime, is make myself indispensable and bargain for more ;)

Don't ask your current employer for a raise. Ask your pimp (Aerotek) to get the money for you.
Aerotek is notoriously cheap. If they can't or won't go after more money for your current employer then ask them if they have another client that will pay more.
IF your working for a temp agency it's their job to know the markets, your qualifications, the clients needs etc.
On the otherside lots of firms use Aerotek because they have low mark-ups and deal in people that will work for less. The company may be cheap.

An update on my story:

It seems like a review may be put into limbo for who knows how long. Three weeks ago when I mentioned it, it sounded very likely soon, whereas now it seems unlikely by the response I got from my supervisor.

Now, I don't think this has anything to do with my performance, but rather internal politics and cost cutting measures.

When I do finally get that review, I'll take the advice of the previous posts and use data to back me up.

After a year maybe, if I'm still not considered for a review, should I look elsewhere, perhaps to see if they'd match an offer? I spoke with my thesis adviser the other day and he was appalled at my salary. Then again, he's appalled by a lot of things.

Anyway, just thinking aloud, enjoying the position for now ;)

Thanks again.

Medieval

Go back to AEROTEK and ask them to find you a contract job paying 45/hr. This 100% bump is not high by contract pay standards and you can split out 800/week, (non taxed), as per diem if more than 60 miles from your home.

I worked for Aerotek also. I was on a 1 year temp contract. When the one year was up, I assumed I would be getting a raise since they liked me and were taking me on full time. My company decided to pay me what Aerotek paid me the previous year since that was the market salary. For most companies, what they decide to pay you depends on your profitability and your experience. I don't think coming through a recruiter matters at all.

I thought I'd posted already or maybe that was elsewhere.

I started here similary to the OP thru Aerotek. I think they originally told me it was a 6 month temp to perm gig but turned out the contract between Aerotek and my employer was actually 1 year.

They took me on early, initially wanted to after about 2-3 months but with internal politics and paperwork it took just over 6 months.

They had to pay Aerotek big $ to get me out of the contract early.

Nonetheless I still got a pay raise because my manager pushed hard for one.

However, HR initially expected me to take a slight pay cut on direct pay as I would now be eligible for vacation & benefits which they said was worth something like $11k per year to the total compensation package.

Couple of colleagues were in a similar boat at the time and got the same argument.

Not a direct answer to your question but hope it's useful.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back