Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Salary question !

Status
Not open for further replies.

KENAT

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2006
US
Seriously, you expect a meaningful answer based on the information you provided?

Where are you for starters, you imply USA but even with that constraint there is some variation.

You could check out somewhere like salary.com or whatever it's called, but they tend to seem a little high when I've looked on there.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are people who don't even have a high school diploma that make more than that. I've come to recognize that it is all about social skills and salesmanship and maybe a bit of non-complacency.

@dvd: I don't think anyone is saying engineers make good or decent money. =)

It doesn't seem like much to me either, but I think even having a job right now is all that matters.

I am in the $80k+ range as a Civil with about 10 years exp., without my license, and during a global economic failure. I know someone with a similar background but a structural with a PE and he makes a little over $100k in the Los Angeles area. I am guessing NYC and LA are similar markets salary wise.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil and Structural Engineering

Haha, well, there's this thing called "The Economy..."

All you can really ask for is points of comparison.

Data Point 1:
Atlanta GA
Civil PE, 10yrs exp, LEED, masters degree
Water Resources Dept Head
2 direct reports
salary: 80k+okayish benefits

Data Point:
Atlanta GA
Civil PE, 11yrs exp, LEED, masters degree, blah blah
Water Resources Dept Head AND civil designer AND drafter
direct reports were laid off
salary: 66k hourly as needed, no benefits

Data Point:
Atlanta GA
Civil PE, 13yrs exp, LEED, masters degree, adjunct fluid mechs professor, guest seminar lecturer
Sole Proprietor / President of emerging consultancy
Approx 30% billable by week on average, also taking care of my newborn kid, which is awesome by the way
on track to gross 70k, net 40k, and room to grow as I'm only really working part time.

Take those data points for whatever they're worth.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

My base salary is $125k/yr. It can go up to $175k depending on OT.

My benefits are just ok - 3 weeks leave, medical insurance sucks, 401k is just paid 50% company share,

With 5 years in the engineering field I make in the upper $70k. When I first started I made in the low 50k range. I don't expect another increase in salary like that in such a short period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back