Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Salary raise survey 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

COEngineeer

Structural
Sep 30, 2006
US
Ok, I dont want know how much you make. I just want to see the average raise per year (even if you move to different companies). Please do this calculation for me and give me your answer

CS = Current salary or hourly rate
SS= Starting salary or hourly rate (after you just graduated)
Y= Years since graduation
R = % raise per year assuming you get the same % per year

If you own a company then only put the data only when you still work for a company.

R = [(CS/SS)^(1/y)]-1

Could you post your R on this forum

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

8.3%, 17 years. Mind you the figure has been dropping off since I hit my ceiling - the one all technical people eventually hit if they stay in employment.

7.8% over 23 years with the same company, that includes one year with a 20% raise in the early years. Without that raise it would have been much lower.

David

Well, I think it's time to look for a new job. I do not get a COLA raise, only merit and that has been about 1.5% per year because I am above the midpoint for salary. I do get a incentive bonus so that helps reduce the backslide on salary.

Anyhow my R is 0.052 (5.2%) with 25 yrs and a PE.

R=0.2011-8 years
Changed company, changed country and now living in a tax haven.
The big jump was when I moved. If we only count after that then I get R=0.028.
Maybe time to jump again, my average is dropping...

R=0.097 N=25 years

You'd be much better off looking at some sort of integral rather than base salary at t=0 and t=now, as the method you propose overemphasises starting salary.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

R = .005 over a 2 year time period. I was promised (in writing) at least a .100 when I started. That is why I left the compay for a better job.

GregLocock said:
You'd be much better off looking at some sort of integral rather than base salary at t=0 and t=now, as the method you propose overemphasises starting salary.
Come up with something and we can do survey #2. Don't make it too complicated because some people might not be able to figure it out :) I am going to get my 1 year review from my new job in 3 days. I have to put my new R.

R = 0.0955 after 5 years. Like many others though, I started out of college with a very low salary relative to others in the same industry & company size. I'd say I am still on the low end of average now, but I will be happy if the 0.0955 continues.

Good luck with your situation!

3.8% at 5.5 years experience (and hell, that's WITH bonuses). If you factor in schooling reimbursement, it's 5.6% Thanks...I thought my week started off depressing enough. Isn't manufacturing great?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back