Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Salt Air Resistant Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

kxa

Structural
Nov 16, 2005
US
I need to spacify paint for metal stairs that are exposed to excessice moisture and salt. Any suggestion? Also, should I specify that the existing paint be removed to the bear metal? Client wants something that would last 30 years which I don't think is possible. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Step 1 - REMOVE THE SALT!!!
Then remove as much of the coating as possible. Abrasive blast to near white metal if you can, then re-clean the surface.
Apply a coat 2+ mils thick [enough to fill the profile and cover the peaks by at least a 1/2 mil] high quality polyamide epoxy that is surface tolorant.
Let it dry /cure per direction, rinse of any surface contamination and allow the suface to dry then apply another 4 - 12 mils of polyamide epoxy.
Again do the dry and rinse thing between each consecutive coat.
For the life expectancy desired, consider flouropolymer urethane as a topcoat or at a minimum a high solids (60%+) acrylic aliphatic urethane.

I agree with above response, but note that no paint will last where walked on in a salty environment. Better to use fiberglass grating or a high grade stainless.

This earlier thread may be useful:
PAINT COATING SYSTEMS ON US NAVY DESTROYERS
thread332-88537

The links still work; click "Approved Exterior Ship Coatings" and select "4 Non-Skid Walk."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back