Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Same design of wires but of different color are same item in BOM or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvanNX

Mechanical
Jun 9, 2005
SE
I am working on assembly and we have multiple wires in it. We use one ID number for all wires of the same size and shape but we do not separate them by insulation color, is that correct or does every color have to have a separate ID in BOM?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello IvanNX,

I am not sure there is a clear standard on this in preparing BOM. However, you want to be able to clearly identify every wire in the assembly different from others. You may provide an additional schedule that clearly provides this detail, if you think your BOM will be too micro-detailed. My thoughts.

This may be better addressed in the Drafting Standards, GD&T & Tolerance Analysis forum in mechanical engineers section. Others may differ. I don't know of a standard in preparing BOM, they are usually plant or manufacturer specific.

when i worked we would call up the wire type on the BOM, then the color on the wiring diagram

Standards aside, It depends on the intended use of the BOM.
I worked for a time at a firm that manufactured lumber dry kilns.
The BOM was used to estimate weights for shipping and for loading on the foundation.
The BOM was used by the purchasing department to order material.
If wire was shown on the BOM with no colour specified, you may find yourself with 10,000 feet of purple wire.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Dear Mr. IvanNX (Mechanical)
"... I am working on assembly and we have multiple wires in it. We use one ID number for all wires of the same size and shape but we do not separate them by insulation color, is that correct or does every color have to have a separate ID in BOM? "
1. Irrespective of any Standards or the purpose of the BOM; it is [essential] to have a separate ID in BOM for [each insulation colour]. This information is useful for your own plant stock record and for the client when ordering for spares.
2. This also applies in the mechanical engineering, where for example besides the bolt and nut size; a different ID for different material, thread type and grade etc.
Che Kuan Yau(Singapore)

Thank you all for your time. I will not try to push small changes and to have each color wire as a separate item in BOM. I am thinking of making wire as the family part where family members are different colored wires. ... Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back