Same mesh on the contact surface 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathie16

Materials
Mar 30, 2023
GB
Hello all,

I have two different bodies which has to be meshed with different sizes (to reduce the comp cost). But I want to have same mesh on the surface that is shared between the two bodies. I could achieve this by mesh control on the edges, but since these bodies has complex shapes, solid meshing fails and only HexMesh Bodies works. Is there any way I could do it?

thanks for your time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Cathie,
BODY MESH is a new mesher technology we have in FEMAP to mesh complex solid geometry, take a look to it.
You can use the same element size in surface, but apply mesh transition to reduce model size.
I suggest to use the new FEMAP V2301 MP1 that give you the option to project midside nodes in geometry:

femapv2301-midside-nodes_u8c9bt.png

body-mesher-example2b_wvbp5g.png

body-mesher-example2c_el6vg6.png

body-mesher-example4b_hzq4bc.png

Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

Thanks Blas for your reply. But I am more interested in HEX elements and unfortunately mesh BODIES doesnt have this option and thats the reason I use HEXBODIES which I find very effective. My project contains some 50 plates with some cavities and my point of interest are the few plates in the bottom and hence I would like to do fine meshing only for these plates. Hence I want to do coarse mesh in the top and gradually increase the no of elements as I go down. I cant use mesh control for HEXBODIES and my plates are neither symmetrical nor identical to each other. Is there any way to do it?

Dear Cathie,
I explained a similar problem in the SIEMENS FEMAP Commmunity: HEX transition.
We have in FEMAP V2301 the commmand MAPPED HEX REFINE, here you have an example:
I have prescribed a mesh size=50 in both the cube and in the touching surface of the other body, the rest of curves don't have any prescribed mesh sizing, the target is to use a global element size=100
Hex-Dominant-mesher-1_dgclnv.png

The key: SELECT TWO BODIES AT ONCE!!
Using default options, only target element size=100, rest of options by default: the meshing command ignores the local mesh density prescribed to curves and use the global element size.
Hex-Dominant-mesher-2_xeyo3f.png

Hex-Dominant-mesher-3_g3v4tm.png

NEXT I can use MAPPED HEX REFINE command TO arrive to the following final HEX mesh:
Hex-Dominant-mesher-4_t6anyn.png

Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

Status
Not open for further replies.