Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAN SEWER REHAB-SLIPLINING OR CURED IN PLACE? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbert

Civil/Environmental
Sep 13, 2003
US
I have used this forum before and received great comments and suggestions. All comments and suggestions are appreciated and welcome.

The project scope contains approximately 15,000 LF of sanitary sewer rehab. to perform.

A cured-in-place method (CIP), such as Insutiform, offers the benefits on making service connections internally. Sliplining procedures do not have an internal service connection method, thus requiring excavation to restore the service.

In a rehab with several hundred service connections, most connections in rear lot residential, CIP appears to be the most cost efficient. With several thousand feet of rehab without service connections sliplining appears to be most efficient.

The question(s): (1) If the project involves a rehab mixture of service connections that make either procedure cost efficient, which process should be chosen? (2) Can anyone help by providing information of the advantages/disadvantages of sliplining in back lot residential situations?

An obvious answer to above question (1) would be split the contracts into two parts, one for CIP and the other for sliplining. However that is not an option, plan preparation expenses, bidding & advertising costs, and multiple contractors in the same space headaches, are the reasons.

Thanks,
Your help would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you could write specs for both procedures and allow the contractor to do it either way. let him coordinate the subs if he wants to and bid the cheapest method.

cvg makes a good point in allowing the market to decide which is the least expensive solution, but this isn't always the best technical solution.

What's the predominant factor leading to the rehab??? Is it due to I&I or structural reasons? Also, what "value" do you place on the disruption in areas with rear lot servicing???

cvg & 91markus -- Thanks for the input.

I&I is the predominant factor in the rehab.

I place great "value" in no disruption of rear lot servicing. In reality every service connection is my client, all 300 of them.

Thanks,

bobbert,

For what its worth, I think that CIP is your best bet. Depending on how the job can be set-up, I know that even CIP contracotrs like doing longer installs as it allows them higher productivity on the job and less risk due to flooding the SC user.

And as we all know, when it comes to contracotrs, less risk = better pricing.

My 2 cents.

Regards,
MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back