Sand piling up due to wind turbulence 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkview

Electrical
Nov 12, 2015
AW
Dear all,

I was wondering if someone might provide some thoughts on this matter and what can be done to prevent this issue.
The wind blows from the East over a bigger solid wall and hits a smaller wall, blowing all the sand back into a pile against the bigger wall. Might there be a low-cost solution for this wind effect or a way to redirect the wind up higher so that it does not redistribute all the sand? Refer to the attached pictures.

In advance, many thanks for any suggestion.

Jairo
IMG_7350_fob9ni.jpg

IMG_7348_l8lghx.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree with retired13. Why not plant some grass in place of the sand?

Making the tall wall even taller is really the brute force solution but obviously is not feasible. So how about you plant some taller plants behind the tall wall to act as a wind break. I have found that bamboo or areca palm (butterfly palm) trees both work well for this as I have used these on my own property and they dissipate the wind quite well. You look like you are in an agriculture zone that would be conducive to the growth of these type of plants.

See
What space do you have on the windward side?

I don't think the wind hits the small wall, but simply creates a lower velocity vortex on the lee side of the wall and the sand then drops out.

There's a lot of stuff out there about protecting railways and roads from sand deposition
But basically just drops the sand there as opposed to on the railway.

BTW, "The wind blows from the East " implies that we know which direction you're pointing the camera... - but looking at the tree gives us a good idea.

At some point you will need to shift sand.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thanks for all the great info.
I found this idea online. Would angling the top (see figure below) of the wall with some wood structure or installing a strip of lattice across the top of the wall reduce the turbulence?

Wind_turbulance_on_wall_gjmv1i.png

I presume that all surfaces inside and outside the fences are sand.
Adding an angled extension or lattice will most likely result in the sand spreading more evenly.
The only way to keep it from dropping all together is to either cause it to drop out before it gets to you, or not cause any eddies where the air slows.
You might also look at snow fence designs, it is the same issue.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

If that angled bit was made of the 50# open metal stuff then this might work as the sand would drop on the other side of the fence, or maybe only the top say 75 % of the angled bit was some sort of semi open mesh to allow the sand to fall through. You might even be able to patent it!

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

assuming the sand moves from one side of the yard to the other side and is not blowing over the fence. modifying the fence might not work, no way to predict if it will, and it could be a waste of time and money. not to mention it may not look attractive. rock mulch is the typical way to stabilize sandy ground and prevent erosion or blowing sand and dust where I live. planting grass requires a lot of water in the desert, better to stick to native plants and cactus

image_a67q7o.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back