Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sanitary Pipe Sizing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccruse

Civil/Environmental
Jan 15, 2008
This question my sound alittle juvenile, but Im an junior EI so I am used to getting thrashed from time to time, lol. I was wondering, what methods are used in determinng pipe sizes in gravity fed SS systems?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I realized I should have posted this on the distribution thread... maybe some environmental engineers can still answer this!!!

It depends on if you are inside or outside.

Since you are probably outside, it is determined by the flow rate of a sloped pipe. There are various charts that will tell you the flow rate of a sloped pipe based upon how full it is and the different slopes. Obtain those charts and you will be on your way.

If you have access to a decent local or University library try to find:
1. Your local sanitary sewer ordinances or design standards
2. American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) manual of Practice M. & R. No. 37.
3. The Ten State Standards
4. Wastewater Systems Engineering, Homer W. Parker

or any good wastewater engineering textbook for publoc sewer systems. Google works great.

For private systems and building sewers the Uniform Plumbing Code is about as good as any.

These are U.S standards.

Are you in the U.S. ?
What is a "junior EI" ?

good luck

Ten State Standards - 2004 Edition

The 2004 edition of "Recommended Standards for Wastewater Facilities" by the Great Lakes - Upper Mississippi River Board of State and Provincial Public Health and Environmental Managers is available. This manual is commonly referred to as The Ten-State Standards. This wastewater facilities design document is an update prepared jointly by a board including ten midwestern states and the Province of Ontario.

Iowa is represented on the Board. It is referenced in state rules and is used by the IDNR to supplement Iowa's Wastewater Design Standards for sewage works. IDNR does not stock copies. A copy may be obtained by contacting the Health Education Services at Albany, New York. Cost per copy is $12.00 plus shipping. Their telephone number is 518/439-7286.

You may also order a copy by going to the "environmental/occcupational health" listing in the HES web site at

Appreciate all the advice and insight. There is a guy at the office that has "Wastewater Collection System Modeling and Design" by Haestad. I'm going to read through it and see what I can find.

When I said that I am a junior engineer, I mean that I am a first year engineering intern "EI" or what senior PE's call a "Green Horn"

Appreciate the advice

Use 8" diameter sanitary sewer pipe until it is flowing full and then step up to ten inch diameter for the next stretch of pipe. Use Manning's equation with the slope known to tell you the velocity and total flow. Use minimum slopes as given in the standards listed in other replies. Place a MH every 300 feet or closer spacing and at angle points. Copy the details from previous plans and DO NOT reinvent anything. Even if your idea is better, the city or municipality will not accept deviations from the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back