Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SAP2000 Error when changing height of structure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rllo

Civil/Environmental
Mar 25, 2021
US
I'm getting a pretty common SAP error, but I can't track down what the issue is. the model is very simple: I have a rigid member with a load on top connected to a HSS column. if I change the height of the column, the error goes away. can someone help me understand what is going on? below is a picture of my model and rigid member definitions.

SAPmodel_jo1ypu.png

Error message:
Load Case : MODAL
Element Type : N.A.
Element Name : N.A.
ZERO OR NEGATIVE MODAL-MASS VALUES WERE DETECTED DURING ITERATION, THE RESULTING EIGEN-MODES MAY NOT BE VALID - CHECK THEM CAREFULLY !! THE STRUCTURE IS UNSTABLE OR ILL-CONDITIONED !! CHECK THE STRUCTURE CAREFULLY FOR: - INADEQUATE SUPPORT CONDITIONS, OR - ONE OR MORE INTERNAL MECHANISMS, OR - ZERO OR NEGATIVE STIFFNESS PROPERTIES, OR - EXTREMELY LARGE STIFFNESS PROPERTIES, OR - BUCKLING DUE TO P-DELTA OR GEOMETRIC NONLINEARITY, OR - A FREQUENCY SHIFT (IF ANY) ONTO A NATURAL FREQUENCY

thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'll suggest that when you lower the height to that specific value, you have two nodes that are essentially overlapping and that you need to Edit > Merge Duplicates command to get rid of that error.

This sounds like a runaway pdelta problem.

What is the top node deflection in those various models?

Is there a gravity load at the uppermost node?

Have you tried stiffening the lower post section in 16.75ft error model to say HSS8x8x3/8 and see if it run stable?

JoshPlumSE said:
I'll suggest that when you lower the height to that specific value, you have two nodes that are essentially overlapping and that you need to Edit > Merge Duplicates command to get rid of that error.
Thanks Josh, no duplicates in the model

PMR06 said:
This sounds like a runaway pdelta problem.

What is the top node deflection in those various models?

Is there a gravity load at the uppermost node?

Have you tried stiffening the lower post section in 16.75ft error model to say HSS8x8x3/8 and see if it run stable?
Thanks PMR06! You're right. I do have a vertical gravity load on top of the rigid member that is not shown in the screenshots. Checking modal deflections, I'm seeing 40 inches horizontal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back