Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SAP2000 meshing small areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

rllo

Civil/Environmental
Mar 25, 2021
US
Hello, i'm looking for help making adjustments my SAP2000 model. in the image below I have a steel plate with a round hole. The auto-mesh feature created the areas shown.

I want to add my own nodes at specific spots so i'm using Draw > Draw Special Joint to do that. What is the correct way to connect those nodes to the meshed poly areas around it?

in the center, there is no poly area, so I had to add one. I also added a node in the center. I'm trying to auto-mesh the round poly area I created but it gives me an error. after clicking 'OK' only part of the area is meshed. the opening is 6 inches in diameter

the lowest image below is what I'm trying to accomplish

Screenshot_2024-08-19_102735_e6mu7s.png

Screenshot_2024-08-19_103405_zji2c0.png

Screenshot_2024-08-19_110827_fr4e8c.png

Screenshot_2024-08-19_103606_nzf0fe.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't understand the node in the middle. Is it just in the air, not connected to the rest of your plate? Are you trying to fill in the hole?

For the node near the top-right, why not just move the closest adjacent node to that location? If that's a no-go, then I would delete the shell encompassing the new node and manually mesh shells connecting to this new node.

271828 said:
I don't understand the node in the middle. Is it just in the air, not connected to the rest of your plate? Are you trying to fill in the hole?

For the node near the top-right, why not just move the closest adjacent node to that location? If that's a no-go, then I would delete the shell encompassing the new node and manually mesh shells connecting to this new node.

i'm trying to mesh the center so that the node in the center will be connected to the rest of the poly areas. my reason for doing this, is because I need a node in the center and auto-mesh won't always put a node exactly at 0,0,0

looks like the mesh size was too small for auto-mesh to work. the solution is to adjust the auto merge tolerance to 0.01 inches. this will solve the issue I was having when meshing the round poly area.

271828's solution to simply adjust the coordinates of individual nodes will work for the other problem I had.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back