Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SAP2000 - Shell one way load distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.

faroquex

Structural
Dec 22, 2013
AE
Hello

I need to model a wall/roof system. My simplified model consists of 4 ways (box in plan) and at roof one way slab. This mean only two slabs will carry the vertical load imposed on the slab. To do so, I disconnected all nodes between slab and walls and connect corresponding wall and slab nodes manually. Now walls are fully disconnected from slab. After that along two lines (which side slab will transfer load) I connected wall and slab similar nodes by weld constraints (constrained DOFs TX, TY, TZ only) and another two lines nodes are connected with also weld constraints (but constrained DOFs are TX, TY only). This is very complex and time consuming as a lot of manual works are there. I'm sure same can also be done some efficient ways. I would appreciate if someone helps me.

Thanks.

FH

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think this is the limitations of Etabs if membrane is supported on Wall one way load distribution is not possible. So silly.

I think this is the limitations of Etabs if membrane is supported on Wall one way load distribution is not possible. So silly.

faroquex, I think you may be right about the one-way load distribution not working properly if the floor is only supported only by walls. As a workaround, divide/mesh your floor into narrow strips and that will force the one-way load distribution that you need. Although it's an extra step, I don't see how that workaround involves so much extra time.. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back