Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sarcasm 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngAP

Mechanical
Jun 6, 2007
GB
After browsing these forums for a while I have noticed a lot of sarcasm in answers. Maybe some questioners desevre it for posting questions that a little hard work would solve but I have also seen it widespread in response to very good questions/answers.

As an example I recently replied to a thread with an answer that I obtained directly from a data/spec sheet, with my response drawing a sarcastic reply from another poster suggesting I was incorrect. However it is by no means limited to to that thread - I have noticed it in threads where I am in no way involved in the discussions.

I do not see the reason for it, other than for the "sarcasmee" to feel like a bigger person.

It may be a misunderstanding of cultural differences as these formums have no national limits but I see it as genuine bad manners.

I would be interested in others' opinions on the matter.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Everyday that goes by someone shows me something I don't know. By the time I retire, I expect to be a complete idiot. Sarcasm is simply me screaming on the way down.

Most sarcastic responses to posts on this board are well deserved in my opinion, as they are usually responding to rather vague questions or questions the original poster could have found the answer to if he or she bothered to do some research.

My 2 cents here is that eng-tips posters are extremely helpful, courteous, professional, etc. , sarcarm included. Do you ever look at, for example, Youtube comments & messages? It's thoroughly disgusting to see how unsupervised (un moderated) "adults" will act...

tg

Humility in the target also makes one a less appealing target. Sarcasm is often aimed at those who seem to need to be brought down a notch.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back