Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Save as PDF in SW 2006-3.01 and Acrobat Reader 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowman

Mechanical
Dec 1, 2004
US
Wondering if anyone else is having any kind of similar problem. We use "save as PDF" to create our archives of SolidWorks drawings. Since going to service pack 3.01, we have noticed anyone using Acrobat Reader 5.0 (and I assume any version before that) has problems reading the PDF files we create. They get a message saying the PDF file is corrupt and cannot read it.I relize the easy solution is to upgrade the people who have that version, but am concerned about customers outside the company who we send drawings to. Let me know if anybody else notices this. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have sent PDf's off to the machine shops for quotes and get the same questions. I have instructed purchasing to tell them to upgrade to 7.0. I guess they have since we did get a quote from them. I think they should give you an imcompatible version error meesage instead of th one you get

Also been noticing the pdf's produced have some screwed up data. Things like weld symbols look perfect in the SolidWorks drawing but on the pdf the weld symbol type is is not attached to the body of the symbol or it flipped to the other side. Contacted our vendor and he didn't see the problem and told me to get Acrobat 7.0. Didnt see this problem when I uses PDF995.

Had a similar problem with PDFs removing all text and adding random lines. The problem only occurred with version SP3.0. Solidworks reconised the problem and are getting it fixed for the next release. I got round it by editing each block of text on the sheet format, changing the font to the Document Font, selecting OK, then changing it back to the desired font and size.

SolidWorks switched from the BlueBeam PDF Printer Driver to the Adobe PDF Printer Driver in SolidWorks 2006 and that created some issues. Most of those issues have been fixed by various service packs up through SP 4.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back