Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Save & Save Copy As - NOT WORKING sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

phlyx

Mechanical
Nov 25, 2003
US
We have a user who has had this happen about three times and we have no clue as to what is happening. He is working on several new parts and assemblies using those parts. When I get called over he has a new assembly started, parts inserted and constrained, and he can not save it. When you hit the SAVE or the SAVE COPY AS buttons or menu selections it does absolutely NOTHING. Can't do anything with it. What I do is COPY the assembly, start a new assembly, paste the assembly into the new assembly then hit SAVE. Give it a bogus name and when it gets to that assembly THEN it askes me what name do I want to save it as. Then I close everything, open the assembly it saved (not the bogus one with the assembly inserted into it) and then it saves fine.

Any clue as to why the SAVE command just absolutely will not work? Oh yeah, SAVE worked fine on all the other parts and sub-assemblies he had open at the same time as the one that wouldn't save.

Huh?????

p4.gif
~ Phlyx ~

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The first question I would raise is: Is the file being saved to a library? This might cause a problem.

This may be a quirk in the program, which I have yet to see. Try checking with your distributor or Autodesk.

The assembly has NEVER been saved so library or not, the SAVE or SAVE COPY AS does not work. This is the initial save for the assembly so there is no possibility of it being a library part because that would mean at one time it WAS saved to a library. We have checked with our distributor and Autodesk who both scratch their head and kind of give us the "I dunno"... that's why we posted here. It was recommended to try a REPAIR (thanks Sean) which we will try as soon as our IT guy gets well and shows us where the Inventor CD's are.

Thanks,
Scott

p4.gif
~ Phlyx ~

I just read another thread of yours about Optimizing. This could be a problem. Regardless of the system being optomized or not, switch your settings and try it again. Some programs have odd quirks that even the programmers do not realize until they have been told.

Also try

This is on another user's workstation here who wouldn't know how to optimize if you told him. Not my work station and I only optimized on mine. I have never had this problem and he has never changed anything from defaults. He's runnin about as generic an installation as you could image as the guy still runs AutoCAD r14.

p4.gif
~ Phlyx ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back