Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving a SolidWorks Drawing as a DWG

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomMalinski

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2010
US
Using SolidWorks 2016 SP2

When I save a SolidWorks drawing as a dwg file all Toolbox Threaded holes lose their hidden circle and look like a thru hole. Anybody know why this happens? or if there is a fix for this?
Any help is appreciated

Tom

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We only convert the Solidworks drawing to DWG files for our WEDM dept. Mastercam for WEDM just isn't up to par for models. Whereas for CNC Milling we send Mastercam solid models directly.
I have callouts in the solidworks drawing, but the AutoCad Dwg file is geometry only, no dimensions or text. This is why missing the hidden geometry for the tapped holes makes them look like thu holes and our WEDM guys could easily make a mistake.

I am playing around with mapping, but so far I'm not getting anywhere

Thanks
Tom

Are you using the DWG mapping tool? I worked in AutoCAD exclusively for enough years that I developed my own standard, the way I like to do things. I was not at all happy with the results of a standard Solidworks conversion to DWG format. I set up a mapping file that directs all selected Solidworks entity types to particular AutoCAD layers, colors, linetypes, etc. All my DWG conversions go through that mapping routine. I just tried one, and the cosmetic threads come through exactly the way the mapping file says they should. Maybe the default is that if they aren't specifically mapped, they don't come through at all.

Sorry I'm just getting back to this, I've been out of the building.
I created a mapping file as jboggs suggested and I have all of the drawing elements mapping properly to AutoCad except for the darn cosmetic threaded hole. I get the thru hole, but the hidden geometry circle just doesn't come in. I've tried setting the mapped line style to Visible Edges, Hidden edges, By Layer, but they just don't show up in the dwg file. does anybody have a successful mapped file for cosmetic threads?
I attached a zip with my map file, Acad R12 Dwg, SolidWorks 2016 part and SolidWorks drawing. You will see the cosmetic threads in the solidworks files but not the AutoCad files.

I realize this may take a few minutes to open and check out, but my sincere Thanks to anybody for help with this
Tom

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ad88f6ad-42b2-461f-b9b4-ce2afe28a227&file=Mapped_Cosmetic_Thread_Test.zip
Tom,

look at the attached files particularly:
"bob Mapped Cosmetic Thread Test - Sheet1--2016-09-15 09_52.jpg"
bob_Mapped_Cosmetic_Thread_Test_-_Sheet1--2016-09-15_09_52_uxrxb6.jpg

I think you need to display annotations
not sure if you need to uncheck the shaded cosmetic threads box or not

The above is in your SLDDRW file properties

Also look at my map file:
"bob ACADMap 04-21-16"

See the ZIP file:
"bob_Mapped_Cosmetic_Thread_Test.zip"

Status