Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Saving AutoCAD Button Menus 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystalrae

Dec 13, 2000
US
I have a question that may have a very obvious answer but I can't seem to find it (probably because I am looking in the wrong place).

I have created a custom button menu. I have it set to run all of my script and AutoLISP files. We are always getting upgraded computer at work. The problem is that I want to transfer these menus to the new machine. I am constantly having to recreate them. I have tried saving all of my menu files and transferring those but it doesn't seem to help. Is there a file that will hold the botton layout (custom and all) and transfer it to the new machine?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The explanation below is for custom "TOOLBAR MENUS" which is what I think you are referring to.

1) create your custom "toolbar" (you've done this part)

2)AutoCAD locates "ALL" the toolbar info in the the "ACAD.MNS" file, find this file and make a backup copy prior to opening for edit.

3)Find the section of the file that contains your custom information (search for the first text string of the toolbar name you created) "CUT" this section out using your text editor, make sure you don't extract anything that doesn't belong to your new toolbar or the current toolbars may not work right. it will look similar to the following:

**MYTOOLBAR
ID_MyToolbar_0 [_Toolbar("MyToolbar", _Floating, _Show,

4)Create a new <mytoolbars> .MNS file and paste this information and save.

5) re-start AutoCAD and access the &quot;Customize menus&quot; from the &quot;Tools&quot; menu pulldown.

6) &quot;Browse&quot; to find the <mytoolbars> .MNS file and hit the <OPEN> button this will take you bake to the &quot;Menu Custimization&quot; dialog box

7)hit the <LOAD> button and your new tool bar should pop up on the screen.

If you plan to port this file to other computers you must make sure all the .LSP files are in the same directories etc. or you'll have errors. As with all customization projects test thoroughly to avoid the wrath of your fellow CAD users.

One problem I've found is with the toolbar graphics. When creating your toolbars put descriptive messages in the help section so when you float your mouse pointer over the toolbar the help string pops up. I've tried adding graphics with limited success but this is very time consuming and can be somewhat frustrating.

Hope this helps

this may help you some i am doing the same thing you are what im doing is this i created a custom .MNU file with buttons and a menu pulldown now what ive been facing is this my buttons wont keep there respective bit maps so basically what i had to do is this
1 export and name the bitmaps
2 use a print folder program to print a list of files in the specified directory (so i could just copy and paste)
3 copy and paste the names into the respective areas in the MNU file and save if im currently running the MNS the i would do a menuload to check for errors also make sure each button has a unique ID other wise you will get 2 or more buttons with the same help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back