Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving dwg in a newer version of AutoCAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

helfreco

Structural
Feb 15, 2011
US
Hello,

I recently became aware of a patch that will allow me to open dwg's in ANSYS Workbench, this will save countless hours by not having to move all my CAD model's through an intermediate.

The catch I am having is that the patch will only work for versions of AutoCAD 2011 or later, and my employer is not springing for a newer version. I am stuck with AutoCAD 2010. I have already tried the patch with my 2010 models and it does not work.

Is there a way to save a dwg in a 2011 format using only AutoCAD 2010? Any help on this is appreciated, thanks!

helfreco

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I doubt ANSYS has the same addin for a lesser used software like TurboCAD. Plus your DWG files will be emulated, the translation may not be perfect.

Little confused here...

AutoCAD 2011 uses 2010 as the base format. You should not have a problem with the 2010 models in ANSYS. Are these 3D solids that you have or are you trying to do a 2D analysis?

Hmm. Thing is, there is no AutoCAD 2011 format. The DWG format changes every 3 years, so 2004, 2007, 2010... not sure about 2013 yet? If you're using a vertical like Civil 3D, then yes, the objects are different, but the big change came in 2012 (.NET instead of VBA).

myflayler,

I spent some more time on this yesterday and it seems that the plugin I have is trying to create a direct link between AutoCAD and ANSYS while CAD is open, then my CAD model will tranfer while the file is open. I thought having a different file format would get around this, but as you and francesca pointed out, there is no difference.

I seem to be stuck, unless you know of a way to make my plugin think I am running AutoCAD 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back