Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Saving Level names in Ver. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineeringh2o

Civil/Environmental
Sep 24, 2003
US
Could someone help me? I am having trouble saving level names in my Microstation Ver. 7 files.

I go into the Names dialog box and name the levels I want to use and delete names I don't want (the files I start with sometimes already have some levels named). Then I hit Done. When I go to my level Manager, the levels are named as I set them and everything appears fine. I then go to File and hit Save Settings just before hitting Save. When I reopen the file, the level names are back to what they were before I changed them. Sometimes the levels that I gave new names will have the new names, but the deleted level names always reappear.

What am I missing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like a file protection or you do not have your Workspace preferences correct. Make sure the file is not read only OR
Under Workspace>Preferences>Operation; Make sure that "Immediately Save Design Changes" are on as well as "Save Settings Upon Exit". Another thing you could try is under level names modify the names to what you want then do a "Save as" to a different name. Exit Mircostation, then open the "new" level name structure (.lvl file) you just saved under the level name area.

Good Luck
Champ

I tried going into my Workspace Preferences and selecting "Save Settings Upon Exit". There is no notable difference.

I am able to save the level names, but then when I open the file, I still have to manually attach that level scheme to the file. I aslo tried saving the design file with a new name after changing the level names. It did not make a difference.

Level names must be saved in a .lvl file. You can do this under Level Names>File>Save. The .lvl file is also a text file that can be edited in Notepad. Once you have saved the .lvl file use "Save Settings" to save the attached .lvl file to your design file. Hope this helps.

Thank you Champ and aas1,

I have tried your suggestions and still am having problems. I am starting to think my problems are more complicated than the symptoms suggest. I have experienced a few other problems and thought they were separate issues, but not I am beginning to think they are connected.

I am now going to start looking at my workspace settings and settings groups.

I think I have found the answer.

In the Level Names dialog box I needed to go to File -> Remove -> OK. Then I make the changes I want, remove the level names I want to remove and select Done. Then I go to the File pull down menu and hit Save Settings.

The changes are still there after I close the file and reopen it.

Suggestion. You can set a lot of default settings in a seed file. Create a seed file with some various settings of your choice such as, color palette, level names and groups etc. Each time you start a new drawing use the seed file as a "seed" :)
Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back