Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Saving user preferences before updgrading 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creigbm

Mechanical
Aug 1, 2003
US
I searched through the threads to see if this question has been asked bdfore so please excuse my ignorance if I missed it. Is there a "user prefence" file in SW that contains info like keyboard maping, colors, toolbar locations, etc.? We are about to upgrade and all of us in our group have our own setting that we would like to keep. Any idea? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a .cus file in C:\Program Files\SolidWorks\user that you will want to keep. You will also want to make sure you make a backup of your macro files. Not sure if it will copy over but I wouldn't want to take that risk. Not sure if that's all but that's all I know of.

The *.cus file is only for Keyboard shortcuts.

Start\Programs\Solidworks\Solidworks Tools\Copy options wizard will copy your System options.

Your Templates Part, Assembly, and Drawings need to be backed up. These templates keep the Document Settings for each template.

Toolbars - You would have to export them from your registry. But there is no guarantee that they will work when you run the Reg file. For one the path has to be the same and when you upgrade to a new version the path is different. You will see that when you export your User Interface reg key. Then when you edit the Reg file. Then look at the registry after SW04 is installed. You will see the path is different. If you cahnge the reg file you made and make a global change to the paths you might get it to work. I f it doesn't work then SW won't start and you will have to remove the UI key in the registry and just do the old way, and that away is to redo your toolbars from the beginning. See - faq559-655

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP[machinegun][beaver]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376

The only time you get a *.cus file is when you create a keyboard shortcut.

The toolbar positions are located in the registry, not the *.cus file.

Go to your regsitry and follow this path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2004\User Interface\Toolbars\PartTool

AssemblyTool and DrawingTool

When you switch between part, assembly or drawing the toolbars can be located in different spots. That is what these paths are for (Above).

If you have SW03 installed and then install SW04. Your toolbars are going to show up in the same fashion, because it more less copies the previous Reg entries from the previous SW.

Regards,

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP[wavey3][fish]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376

Updegrading? I like it. Moving to a newer version of software that does not work as well as the old version. I will submit this to the jargon files.
You've created a new word.

Crashj 'somedays you're a bug somedays you're a feature' Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back