Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scale 3D model

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguin221

Industrial
Sep 11, 2003
US
Is it possible to take a model and scale it up or down? I don't mean to use the mold tools scaling. That command scales the part, but doesn't scale the dimensions.

I just want to be able to take a model and be able to scale it up or down. Example would be to double the size of a model.

Thanks

Stephen Getsy
Product Development Engineer
Silgan Plastics

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So you want to keep all your features with their dimensions, but want each to scale at a desired rate? I don't think so.

If you use the scale feature, the scaling will be added as a feature--a point in the development of the part.

You could export the part to parasolid format, then reimport it, but it would be a dumb solid--but at the scaled size of your choice (per your scale feature before exporting) with no scale feature. If you snap dimensions on the imported solid, they will be true larger dimensions.

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

How about creating a Design Table which includes all Feature dimensions. It would then be quite easy to create a config which has a x2 factor.

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

I need to keep all the features. I can't IGES or STL.

It is way too much work to go and change all the dimensions.

The reason I am looking to do this, is because some times we do design's that have a lot of features and I need to scale it up or down because I need the same thing in several sizes. It is very time consuming to go and change all the dimensions to adjust the sizes.

ProE has a scale command just like the one SW uses for the mold design, but it chnages the dimensions. So if you have a part that is 2 inches and you double the size, the dimension would be 4 and not 2 las in SW.

Well I guess I will have to submit this to SW and see if they will add this option in a future version.

Thanks everyone.

Stephen Getsy
Silgan Plastics

Until then your SOL penguin221! What you want to do, is done the way CBL has listed for you. Using the Scale command will make all your features smaller/larger, but maintain the same Dimension value. If you want to maintain your features now, then you could add them into a DT, (It's easier then you think) then you full control of the dimensions and different configurations.

1) All you do is start a new DT
2) Click on a different row (e.g. row 3)
3) Double click a feature,
4) Click back to row 2
5) Click on each dimension to place them into the DT.
6) Repeat Step 2-5 for each feature.

With Design Tables and the fact that most people don't want their Dimensions to grow this will probably not be added. The reason is for mold design and if you want to scale your model from 2 to 4 then you need to build it to scale. SW is a tool that gives you the ability to build to scale.

I never understood people that don't build to scale. I understand things change and you have to change it, scaling would be easier, but with SW you will maintain your old Dim value. If you to get around this, then the answer is above.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376
faq559-716 - SW Fora Users

Scaling is often used when designing a part that will be cast out of a meterial that shrinks as it is curing. Example: I or another person design a part to required product dimensions. I then take that part and scale it to a larger size (which becomes the master), such that after shrinkage, it is approximately the size intended for the final product. It is much easier to type in a scale factor as I do now in IronCAD than to create a table of all scaled dimensions.

Shrinkage/Expansion is different, because you start off the the 1:1 scale and you have equate for what will happen when it is heated, etc... that isn't the issue here. But if you want to physically draw it smaller then expect to scale it double and expect the dimensions to grow with the model, that is dumb. You should make the model 1:1 then if there is shrinkage, etc... then that is when you use the scale. You don't use it to scale your models because you drew the wrong size to begin with, or the model changed, etc... Use a DT to control the dimensions.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376

shifter ... I agree, it would be easier in Penguin221s case to type in a scale factor to get the enlarged model he wants. He should put in an ER to SW for that functionality if it is important to him.

However, I don't think that functionality is required by many users (hence the lack of posts about this). The normal use of scaling is for casting, moulding & plating processes where only a relatively small "shrinkage" factor is required.

With any design process, it is the finished product which is being designed. Obviously different processes involve different configurations along the way, but the finished product has to be the ultimate master & SW methodology caters for this very well.

Many materials/features will not shrink uniformly. For that reason, SW has the ability to Scale using differing factors along the 3 main axes, but keeps the end product as the controlling part. SW does this in one file which keeps direct association between the master & scaled configurations.

Just curious, I know IronCAD is great value for the price, but using your method, does it keep associativty between master & scaled versions?

[cheers]

Sorry for all the debate, didn't think this was a big issue.

There are reasons why I would like to scale the model and the dimensions all in one step. I guess I didn't explain it very well. Anyway, the reason behind it shouldn't have anything to do with being able to do it or not.

SBaugh, first off most of the time I do not intentionally draw the model small and then scale it to fit. Sometimes it is an existing part that someone would like to see in a different size, or what we call a "Family". The best way to describe a "Family" is to think of the little egg shaped toys that are painted like people, and when you open the big egg, there is a smaller one inside, and so forth. Unless you can understand the true nature of what we do I would not call it "dumb"

Stephen Getsy
Silgan Plastics

penguin221 ... what you describe is exactly what SW configurations are for. It is the (better [poke]) equivalent to Solid Edges & Pro/Es "Family of Parts".

[cheers]

I would create configs and use DT's when creating the part (before shrinkage and final part). I can't think of any other effeciant way to do it. Sorry, but scaling doesn't make sense to me.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP2.0 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site

FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

OK.

Forget why I would like to do this. I just wanted to know if you could or could not scale an entire model.

I got the answer. There is no command to do this.

I am fine with that, I just wanted to see if maybe there was an easier way to do something. I was able to do this in ProE and was thinking maybe I could do it in SW as well.

My examples were only explained to try to clarify what I wanted to do not how do I do it.

I know how to use configurations and tables and all that stuff.

Maybe it was my fault for not being able to convey what I wanted.

Stephen Getsy
Silgan Plastics

I know you have the answer. Just trying to help and understand your concept.
If it is trully something you need, turn in a Enhancement Request to SolidWorks.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP2.0 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site

FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

I wasn't calling you dumb! I was calling it dumb (in general not you as a person) if you don't model in 1:1. But each company has their own way.

In the past I had to deal with a person that left the company and drew everything scaled to fit on the sheet. I never understood that. It has been a pet peeve since then. But I hope you understand I wasn't calling you dumb, or how you do things.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376

Sbaugh, I didn't take it as you calling me dumb as I did you you calling the approach dumb.

Anyway no hard fellings.

Thanks everyone. Sorry if I got frustrated. This has been a bad day to begin with and it isn't getting any better.

Stephen Getsy
Silgan Plastics

CorBlimeyLimey,

I believe that I can make the scaled-up version as a configuration. Typically, though, there is no need to link the two, as the "Master" is far less detailed as far as the number of features. BTW, to me, IC is like PaintShop Pro compared to Photoshop (like SW). Photoshop is very powerful, but having all that power means having to "dig" deeper to find features and tools that are much easier to find in PaintShop Pro. Both programs are great to have; it just depends on what you use them for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back