Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Scale Factors Paper Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

PennStateIE

Industrial
Mar 3, 2005
US
What is the scale for a D-size drawing when I do the layout in model space at a 1:1 ratio?

What is the appropriate notation in the title block?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The layout is drawn and plotted 1:1.
Viewports are scaled as you please.
Each viewport can have it's own scale.
If you have one large viewport, you can report it's scale in the title block. I report the scale so fother viewports under each viewort.
I like to use a graphical scale within each viewport, in model space right next to the object group.

pennstateie-
Good post.

IFRS-
Insert the title block onto the paper-space sheet (tab) at 1:1, no matter what size t-block (A-sz,B-sz,C-sz,D-sz...). Usual insertion is 0,0, but you might want to adjust that alittle for plotting the info line along the left edge of your print. I leave it a 0,0 and adjust the plot itself, but usually "centering" the plot and PLOTTING TO FIT solves everything. Make any viewport you want for developing your various view(s), and zoom each to a scale that corresponds to a "drawing scale" (1/2"=1'...). Plot your drawing at 1:1, and set it to "fit", and you'll be OK. If you need exact scale, find out exactly what the printer boundary is, (usually 1/4" to 1/2" off eatch edge), set your title block to a ratio of that (corner-tocorner), and that ratio will give your exact plot scale to input. If you need more clarification, take this as far as you can, and post back here with some detail, and we can take you farther forward, 'til you hit your goal. Still, this should be snough clues to get you started, anyway.

Good luck,
C. Fee

Thanks everyone. I'm still having trouble grasping this for some reason. When I look at the properties of the viewport, I see "custom". This is basically due to zooming out enough that I get the entire drawing. If I change that scale factor for the viewport to (1/8" = 1') for instance, I do not capture the entire system.

So how do I determine the scale? Do I just print it out and calculate it?

If you can't see the entire model in the viewport at 1/8"=1' you'll have to change the viewport scale to say 3/32"=1' or 1/16"=1'(Properties > Standard scale). Once you have determined the correct scale you want to use it's best to lock the view (Properties > Display locked > Yes). Whenever you zoom in or out without the display being locked it changes the scale of the viewport (hence "Custom"). Then plot from paperspace at a plot scale of 1:1 and your plot will come out at the intended scale (i.e. 3/32"=1' or 1/8"=1')
Hope this helps.

Thanks. I got it now. I always just drew everything to scale and didn't worry about the scale when printing it. I'm dealing with some vendors now that don't even use CAD or email...when I give them drawings they want to know the scale.

Tell your daughter there is no better place to go to school.

To elaborate on IFRs last post, my above method will only plot to the proper scale if the object is drawn to true scale (1:1)in model space. If you are drawing a wall that is 10'-0" long, then in model space draw it 10' long (120 drawing units if your units are set to architectural). No need to "scale" your entities, that went out with the drawing board and drafting machine.

Draw in model space at 1 foot equals 1 foot.

Set up your paper space plot sheet at 24" height by 36" width, which is standard D-size paper.

Place a Viewport on the paper space plot sheet and window your drawing in at the proper scale. For example, a model space scale of 1"=30' would be a scale of 1:30 for the viewport. Double-click in the viewport to activate it, and then choose Zoom, scale, and enter 1/30XP for the scale (XP being the command for a relative scale in paper space).

Hello ;
Does anyone know the "System variable" to open the dialog box when using the "igesin" command on the command line.
Having a problem with the iges editor asking me for "file name" instead of opening a dialog box to Browse to the iges file I need to open.
When we open .dwg files the dialog box opens but not for igesin.
Also We have alot of problems transfering .iges to .dxf & .dwg , any thoughts about where I can get additional info.
AutoCAD 2000i
Thanks
Mark

Were you able to get it yet or are you still having a problem? I couldn't tell by the end of the last post what your final(?) status is.
C.Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back