Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scale 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

2000mustanggtguy

Mechanical
Mar 16, 2005
US
Does anyone know how to scale an entire part include extruded, fillet, cuts in SW2005. I have a part with alot of features defined in the model tree. But for now I just use Pro-E to do my scaling, so all i have to do is open the part and press a button and it scales everything which is cool in pro-e, I thought SW2005 Office has the same option.

Printed Circuit Board Designer
Salt Lake City, Utah

No Substitute for american muscle !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ctopher-
when I was working at a plastic injection mold manufacturer, we would scale the part we received from our customer to account for shrink in the part.

ctopher, on why you might want to scale a part. I modeled lawn tractor tire (16")complete with raised tread blocks, bead, and everything. If I want to use the same tire but in an application that calls for a 14" or 12" tire, I just scale the tire and the wheel and VOILA.

Anyone can be Captain in a calm sea.

Chris ... you can create configurations by using the Scale feature. Sometimes it is easier than using a DT &/or equations.

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

ctopher,

I have a part that was small until smcadman told me where the command was, I didn't have it check marked. Sometimes in my application it's better to copy an existing file and scale it than draw the whole thing over, if you know what I mean, and it has to be different from the other part because it's a different manfacture and etc. etc. etc, I think you get the picture. So I just had to increase the size by fifty percent, thanks for your help guys !
[cheers] I'll drink some beers for you guys tonight [cheers]

Printed Circuit Board Designer
Salt Lake City, Utah

No Substitute for american muscle !

I do realize I am being just a "little" lazy by scaling and not re-creating the model. It's just that in my original model all the dimensions (tread pattern, depth, shape, etc.) were taken from an actual tire. A smaller or larger part would have different real dimensions, which I don't have. In this instance scaling works well enough. Also, I usually export the solid body as a new part. Again, this works becouse no further adjustments on the part will be needed. I also find that a dumb solid uses less resources than a part with 300 individual features.

Anyone can be Captain in a calm sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back