Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scaling issue when Importing SW files in Autocad via "Exchange Works"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasDistEng

Mechanical
May 20, 2002
US
Hi-

When I import an SW file into AutoCad via "Exchange Works" the part always imports larger into AutoCad than it's actual size in SW. For example: a part that has a length dimension in SW of 10.11 inches in SW has to be scaled down in AutoCad by 0.0393 to get the 10.11 inches. I checked my AutoCad import scaling units - they are set to inches.

What am I doing wrong?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've had some weird things with ACAD, too.

I think it comes down to ACAD being a unit-less system. There really aren't inches in ACAD per se, but units that are consistent with one another in a given file.

To what decimal place is your scaling giving you accuracy? Do you hit it dead-on with the scale you're using (0.0393)? Do other models perform exactly the same way?

What file format are you importing into ACAD? DWG? DXF? 3D file of some sort?

Jeff Mowry
Industrial Designhaus, LLC

I thought that I had it but.....

The SW part was drawn by someone else in SW in inches. I Had my SW units set to mm. I changed it back to inches (re-saved) and made sure that the AutoCAD user preferences "drag and drop scale" was set to inches for both "Source content units" & "Target drawing units" under the "drad and drop scale" settings.

When I imported the part (12.11 inches in length) into AutoCAD using "XchangeWorks" the part was (256.7940 inches in length).

There is certainly some connection with mm here. Any other thoughts?

With SW, it's pretty straight-forward because you're always dealing with real size in space--whether you measure in mm or inches, you still have the same amount of real mass. So normally by changing your units, you're simply changing the units being displayed that demark your part.

Somehow I suspect the problem might lie in a default import unit within XchangeWorks or some similar issue within that program. Strange.

Jeff Mowry
Industrial Designhaus, LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back