Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scaling viewports for CAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

shipleyscott

Mechanical
Mar 7, 2006
US
I have seen several posts on this topic but none seem to hit the nail on the head. Maybe someone can dumb it up for me. I have a metric drawing and have set up a viewport to plot it.

My sheet is a metric expand A1

My units are meters

I would like to set the viewport scale to 1:400 but if I do that my drawing is just a dot in the viewport. It appears to me that the viewport scales still take into account inches in a foot (the factor of scale of a typical of 1:20 plot). Is there a way to set it all up such that I can put in a unit such as 1:400, plot this guy, and then use my hand scale at 1:400 and read correct dimensions?

Scott

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just a clarification,is your drawing done in full scale? If so, you just create a viewport within your title sheet, then,double click on the viewport for you to go in the model space and zoom it into 2.5xp.

xp means scaling factor for zooming on exact scale. just type in command promt ; zoom>scale>2.5xp

2.5 is a factor of 1000/400

Hi,

first I would draw the layout in mm. A2 -> 594/420 units. Then create the viewport -> click into the vp (or "_.mspace") -> type "zoom" -> "2.5xp" (like 1005123), now You have the scale 1:400 -> pan the modell into the right position -> go outside the vp...

HTH, Lothar

ADT 2004
ACAD 2002

I believe that I did. Our client in New Zealand thinks that the dimensions are off, but if I check the dimensions, on screen, or with a metric scale, I get the right answer, so I believe that it is right.

Scott

"often wrong, but seldom in doubt"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back