Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scaling viewports in paperspace 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadmonkey1

Structural
Feb 24, 2003
GB
Have a drawing with one viewport in paperspace that i want scaled at 1:75.I have been right clicking on viewport & using properties to enter a custom decimal number of 0.015 which i thought may be 1=75 as 1:50=0.02 & 1:100=0.01 but when i print off lines are slightly to long by about approx 200mm when i run a scale rule over. Is it just that i am entering in wrong decimal factor & if so what is 1=75?
If not, any ideas?

Thanks for looking & a very merry christmas & happy new year!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

cadmonkey,

I think your scale factor is wrong. 1:75 = 0.013. 0.015 = 1:66. Not much of a difference but enough to through your scale out.

Thanks for the swift reply!!

What is the formula then for working this out just for future use. I have applied this but need to check with a scale rule, I setup a blank drawing with the limits setup at A1 paper size x 75 a drew a line 1mt long to make my own scale rule a printed off but the line on my drawing with the 1:75 viewport is still 50mm short when printed. I'll get a proper scale rule over christmas just to be 100% but i hope that this will solve problem, setting scale in viewport to 1:50 or 1:100 & printing works perfectly so I thought that it must be the decimal factor.

Thanks again & Merry Christmas!!

cadmonkey1,

Your discrepency has gone from 200mm to 50mm so you're getting there. In the viewports toolbar, you'll notice that the scale is given to six decimal places. This too can make a difference. Try 0.013333 and measure again.

To arrive at a scale factor, divide 1 by whatever scale you want i.e. 1/75 = 0.013333, 1/50 = 0.02, 1/100 = 0.01, 1:2 = 0.5 etc.,

Let me know your result.

Merry Xmas

In the viewport properties, you can put in 1/75 and it will do the math. You can also select from standard scales in the box above. R2004 Note that your printer may scale objets also...

Haggis-you are a CAD GOD!!!!!

Works fine now when scale inserted to 6 decimal places.

Top Man-Have yourself a great christmas.

Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions.

To answer your question of what is the formula to convert 1:75 to a decimal . . .

1:75 = 1/75. To convert this, or any fraction to decimal, simply divide the bottom number into the top number. Or, in this case, 75 into 1.0 = 0.013.

Cheers .. . Rocky

Maybe I'm missing something in the question but can't you just zoom to scale in the viewport? Like : View/Zoom/Scale/
1/75xp for one seventy fifth of paperspace scale or to whatever scale you want. For instance: 1/8" per foot is 1/96xp calculated as 1"/(8*12").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back