Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scaliung down parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthat

Industrial
Jun 16, 2010
GB
i have digitised a helmet with a microscribe and imported it into abaqus, problem is its 100 times too big, importing it into scale makes the part invalid which cannot be repaired, can you scale parts after importing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I find it better to do the scaling in the CAD package used to create the geometry. Once you scale a part significantly it seems that CAE determines that the part is invalid as you have found out. My guess is that it is related to the SAT format having 1e-6 as it's resolution and with scaling that errors pop up. I hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

If it's possible in your specific system you can also just change the units of the materials,loads,... In systems that I look at this is usually the easier and cleaner way to get around this.

HTH,
Dan

Hello,

You can prepare model with current lenght units and all material propertis for correct size. Next add *NMAP keyword to keyword with SCALE option and scale all nodes coordinates.

Regards,
Barten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back