Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scan to PDF??

Status
Not open for further replies.

zliazmei

Structural
Feb 5, 2002
AE
Hi All,

I have a lot of old documents that i need to scan and convert to searchable and editable pdf.
Can you plese advise me with the soft that can do such cind of operatians.
10X

ZMEI

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no easy way, however, here are a few suggestions that you might employ.
[ol]
[li]If you scan them as an image and save them as PDF's they are not searchable.[/li]

[li]Though very time consuming, one could scan the old documents, then by utilizing OCR software to convert to a text file, edit with word processor, insert the scanned photographs, charts, et cetera then print as a PDF.[/li]

[li]Or a hybrid of the aforementioned methods. Scan as images; insert the images into a word-processing document. The word processing documents could contain key words, your notes, et cetera, that would be searchable.[/li]
[/ol]

Adobe Acrobat allows you to insert a title (which is distinct from a file name) and keywords to any PDF file. These are then searchable. (File -> Document Properties -> Summary) in version 5 gets you there.

The downside is that you have to do this for each image that you scan and save as PDF.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back