Schneider ATS48 Soft Starter Remote Start/Stop via Modbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Histor

Electrical
Mar 2, 2022
SG
Hi,

I have ATS48 Softstarter circuit as shown in the attached PDF. In "Manual" mode, I can start the motor from MCC Start button and the "Run" Logic input in the Starter received signal so it closed R1 and subsequently R2 dry contacts inside the Starter so K1 and K3 contactors energized and the motor is working fine.

But in Remote mode, the control is via modbus serial communication from PLC. When I start from SCADA, nothing is happening.

Somebody told that I need 3phase supply to Starter. Then only the "Run" logic input in starter will receive input from SCADA via modbus. Do we really need 3 phase to present in the starter before start from SCADA using modbus serial communication? I don't think it is required. We already have control supply to the starter. I suspect it is a communication cable or PLC program issue. Anybody who has experience on ATS48 please advise on this matter.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e6f3735d-2ca2-4a9a-aab1-ff2a0f6f5c87&file=ATS48_Schme.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To answer the first question though, you do NOT need the 3 phase power on the soft starter line terminals first. If that were the case, it wouldn’t work in Local mode either, because K1 would not close.

So yes, this is a ModBus protocol issue.

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

Hi Jraef,
In local mode it works fine as I give Run Signal by energizing K11 relay. Once I give Run command the internal starter dry contact (R1A-R1C) closes and it will energize K1.

Hello Histor,

Still didn't answer my questions. Can you confirm that you have successfully established a modbus connection with the ATS48?
Are you receiving 16#xx21 value when reading ETA (W458) register when Starter shows "nLP"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back