Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scrapers vs Trucks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chisholm

Civil/Environmental
Dec 18, 2003
KE
Does anyone have any cost studies for hauling with scrapers vs tucks and loaders(shovel). Haul distances will be less than 1000 yards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't have a study but expect scrapers to be quicker. However, depends on the quantities and availability of scrapers. Another option is pushing up into heaps with a dozer and loading trucks with a backhoe sat on top of the heaps.

Zambo

One place to check for "generic" cost information is R.S. Means Cost Books. You can get their publication from them directly or Amazon, Barnes & Noble or Borders book stores.

The cost books will give you the relative cost difference between hauls by scraper and trucking and is just a place to start. The best cost information is that developed with your own equipment and crews.

Ask yourself three simple questions first -

1) Does the cut material contain a large amount of rock? If so, a dig & dump operation is the best

2) How wet is the material? Pans move plastic soils most effectively when they are around optimum moisture condition. Sands are generally moved easier with pans when they are somewhat dry, but not too dry.

3) What are you putting the material on? Or, does it matter? If placing on a wet subgrade, a dig & dump (then push with dozer) would be the best. Think also about turnaround areas, maintanence of haul routes, condition of haul roads. All of these play a part in which to choose.

One major point of advise that separates graders from dirt movers is balancing cut and fill operations - if you don't have enough manpower to put it down as fast as you move it, then you don't need it any faster. Scrapers (if allowed to dump in high gear) can help more with compaction and save even more time in fill placement.

dirtdoctor makes good points. All of these are valid points and should impact how the material will be moved. The only comment that I could add is that trying to out guess how a contractor will construct something is a long shot at best. The good contractors always surprise me by comming up with a better way of doing something and the bad contractors; let's just say they always surprise me as well.

I happen to use both methods. Depending on material both methods are equally fast. Articulated trucks however seem to be cheaper. The operation and maintenance costs of a cat 637 scraper spread, 4 scrapers a D9 ripping and pushing as neccesary, a D8 and 815 compactor in the fill area and a grader to keep the haul road clean costs more than trucks. 4 d400 trucks and a 345 excavator d6 and 815 to compact a grader to smooth haul road. Ihave long been a scraper man, but reliabillity and the maintenance costs of these articulated trucks as well asthere speed loaded and empty have me liking trucks. With scrapers I have a mechanic onsite all day. With trucks he shows up at the end of the day to service. Also trucks can go allmost anywhere. On a 3 thousand foot haul scrapers may be just fine but if there is any uphill haul trucks will be faster and cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back