Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SE and UG Working Together

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossly

Automotive
Sep 22, 2003
US
We may be interested in using SE as a lower cost option for concept designs and then move them to UG. UG is our core design software. How compatible is SE to UG. Here are my questions.

Assemblies: Can UG see the SE creates assemblies and vice versa?

Modeling: Are the parameters kept? UG<->SE?

Surfacing: Honesty here would be great. We do exterior lighting and do some class A but for concepts that is not necessary. Is SE good at creating complex surfaces?

Thank alot for you responses.

Ross Parpart
Product Design Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A1: Yes, UG NX3 can read SE assemblies.
A2: General answer is no, NX can not recognise the feature from SE parts. as a result all dimensions and variables will loss. However, since NX3 began use SE sheet metal, the sheet metal parameters will keep.
A3. Yes, SE has a unique Blue Surface technique which provides users the flexibility to create/edit freeform surfaces effeciently.

Hi,

Regarding question 2, I am pretty sure that if you insert a part or assembly from UG in an SE assembly or vice-versa, you can keep the link to the file if wanted. This way, if the SE or UG file is modified in its native system, it can be updated in the other system.

Thanks guys, those were the types of answers I was looking for. SE may be a good option for a little cost savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back